Thursday, July 24, 2008

Blacks & Barack

I grew up in New Jersey, a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. But, because I lived in NJ, I also enjoyed the Giants. That was until I attended Rutgers University and met Lenny P. Lenny was the most obnoxious Giants fan I ever met. He talked about the Giants so much that I no longer could stand to watch them. I mention this story because that is how I am starting to feel about Barack Obama.

I love Barack and what he stands for, but Black Americas are to Obama what Lenny P. was to the Giants. I am happy Black Americas are excited about politics, but we should not vote for a candidate solely because he is Black. Many Blacks act as though once Barack is elected President we will finally receive the 40 acres and a mule. However, racism does not instantly disappear because a Black person is elected President. Barack, as President, does not instantly stop Black-on-Black violence, nor does it automatically correct the poor education system plaguing our inner cities.

Barack will receive my vote, not because he would make history as the first Black President, but because I believe he is the best candidate…though I am proud the best candidate is Black. We should not hesitate to express our support for Barack. Black people, do not run from the question, “Are you going to vote for Barack”. You should be excited to discuss why he will receive your vote. Tell the questioner; Barack is intelligent enough to solve the social and economic problems the US currently faces. Tell the questioner; Barack is eloquent enough to use diplomatic means to resolve our global issues. Tell the questioner that because of this varied background Barack is able to relate to the issues faced by all races, the rich and poor. Just please, please, please don’t let your response be, “It is time America elected a minority or a woman”.

Barack will receive my vote, but this blog is not intended to influence your vote. It is my hope that this blog gets you to think for yourself, step outside the box, and step away from the crowd. With that said, whatever your reason for voting for Barack, if he wins, the best candidate would have won. I am no longer at Rutgers, so I didn’t have to hear Lenny when the Giants won the Super Bowl. I don’t think I will be so lucky when Barack wins the Presidency.

Talk2Me

GrannyVendetta

0 comments: